Saturday 26 December 2015

Harry Potter hopeful shouts up a storm

Harry Potter hopeful shouts up a storm 

Last year, Emily Broughton saw auditions were underway for the new Harry Potter film and the 10-year-old got excited. Broughton always wanted to be an actress.
"I'm a Harry Potter nut and there were some auditions for the "next Hermione", but I couldn't go because it was in London."
Instead, her mother signed her up to a talent agency so she could have more acting opportunities and be exposed to the industry.
That call has turned Broughton into a TV phenomenon, and not one that everybody appreciates.
A term later, she got a call to audition for a series of ads for Japanese car importer 2CheapCars.
"I auditioned for it and there was a second round. I had to go to their studio and got filmed a bit. [The audition] was basically like the adverts
Broughton got the part and before the Rugby World Cup kicked off, she filmed the first advertisement that had her cram long scripts into 15 second segments. She was told to shout it all.
It was a long day for Broughton, who left tired and with a sore throat - but she enjoyed every minute of it. 
"I was really excited and I couldn't really believe I got my first job and was going to be on TV."
Although she talks at a normal speed and volume in real life, acting as TV's "shouty girl" wasn't too hard."I suppose it's not that difficult because I do shout a bit. Sometimes, my little sister goes out on the farm in the morning to catch some turkeys and mum asks me to go find her. So I go to the back of the hill and yell for her.
"So I get some practice."
There's been a bit of backlash from people who hate hearing her shout about cars for 15 seconds, but Broughton just shrugs it off. She was just doing what she was told, after all. 
"She dealt with it amazingly," said her mum, Julia. "She did everything she was asked to do and was very professional about all of it. 
"It was a bit surreal I suppose."Friends have all been very nice. But there was one guysaying she drove him nuts, which is fine and I understand that totally, but she just did what she was asked to do by the company and she did it very well." 
While her mum wants to protect her, she doesn't shelter her away from the negative press.
"I've shown her all of it and we've had a laugh about it. She's not worried. They're entitled to their opinions. There are plenty of ads on TV that annoy me as well." 
The family hope it will be the first of many acting opportunities for Broughton, whose dreams are bigger than a 15-second advert.
"Something to do with a big, action-packed movie or stage performance, like Les Miserables or a big musical like that, that would be really fun. I'm not very good at dancing, I'm okay at singing, but my thing is acting."
Broughton bought an iPad with her earnings, but will also donate $150 to a Scottish charity called Mary's Meals, which feeds school children in Africa, as well as $150 to the SPCA."I just like animals," she said.
INSIDE THE SHOUTING STRATEGY
Paul White, programme leader of advertising creativity at AUT, is no fan of shouty advertising but he can see why retailers do it.
"I'm one of those people who get rid of it as quick as you can," he said.
White draws a big distinction between the two shoutiest advertisements on TV right now, Hyundai's "Get Lost" campaign, which won Fair Go's worst ad award for 2015, and a series of 15 second unrelenting noise-fests from 2CheapCars.
Hyundai is completely different because there is an idea behind it, he said.
 "It's a four wheel drive and the idea is 'Dad go somewhere where we'll be lost'. Even though the person is shouting that's completely coincidental."
In contrast 2CheapCars is a classic "hard retail" play, White said.
"It's saying 'We are the super retail people as far as cars go. If you expect Harvey Norman and the rest to shout at you we are in that category but we're shouting even louder - so we're really cheap.'
"They are quite happy to risk putting people off."
But such "cheap" advertising comes at a price.
"You have to spend heaps of money to make it work. Harvey Norman is at the top of advertising spend. It doesn't work any other way."
White said he imagines what 2CheapCars is doing is going hard for concentrated periods so TV viewers can't get away.
"That's not to suggest it's the best way to do it but it is a retail technique that's used a lot," White said.
White suggests it could be time for an alternative approach.
"Some might say if everybody else is shouting you might get heard more easily if you whisper, which would be my point of view."

No comments:

Post a Comment