Tuesday 5 January 2016

Tom Coughlin steps down as Giants coach

Tom Coughlin steps down as Giants coach

The Tom Coughlin era is over.
The 69-year-old two-time Super Bowl winner who served as Giants coach for 12 years, longer than anyone but Hall of Famer Steve Owen (23 years), will not return for the 2016 season.
“I met with John Mara and Steve Tisch this afternoon, and I informed them that it is in the best interest of the organization that I step down as head coach,” Coughlin said Monday in a statement. “I strongly believe the time is right for me and my family, and as I said, the Giants organization.”
Coughlin insisted in the statement that “this is not a sad occasion for me,” although the three straight losing seasons did seem to take their toll.
“Obviously, the past three years have not been what any of us expect,’’ he said, “and as head coach, I accept the responsibility for those seasons.”
There also were obvious, tangible triumphs.
“I am gratified and proud that we were able to deliver two more Lombardi Trophies to the display case in our lobby during that time,” he said. “That is a tribute to our players and staff, and it was truly fulfilling to be the leader of those teams.”
In 20 NFL seasons, Coughlin is 182-157, including a 12-7 record in the postseason. His regular-season record with the Giants was 102-90. He is one win shy of matching his mentor, Hall of Famer Bill Parcells, for 10th place on the all-time list. He also is two wins short of matching the regular-season total of Parcells (172).

No comments:

Post a Comment