Thursday 7 January 2016

Craig Strickland's Widow on Their Last Conversation: 'He Walked Out the Door, Looked at Me and Said, "I Love You"'

Craig Strickland's Widow on Their Last Conversation: 'He Walked Out the Door, Looked at Me and Said, "I Love You"'

Helen Strickland has opened up about her final moments with her late husband Craig Strickland before he left for the hunting trip thatclaimed his life and that of his friend Chase Morland

"We laid on the couch and I rubbed his chest and we talked," Strickland, 27, told CNN Thursday. "And we talked about Harry Potter – because I love Harry Potter – and joked. He walked out the door and looked at me and said, 'I love you' and blew me a kiss and said, 'I'll talk to you soon' and walked out. I wouldn't change anything about that." 

The former Miss Arkansas USA also admitted that her husband might not have had the best judgment when it came to his passion for hunting. 

"Craig really had no sense of what not to do sometimes – when it came to duck hunting at least," she said. "Not everybody knows about duck hunting, but winter weather is the best time to go… I think he looked at that time and he looked at that storm and as his friends said, he knew the ducks were coming in, he knew they were going to be there – it's more than just trying to shoot ducks. 

She continued, "What Craig loved more than anything ... he got to spend time with his friends or his family or whoever he got to take with him. For him, seeing that winter storm, he knew it would make an awesome story and [he would] be able to spend that time with Chase, who he was starting to mentor. I think that was what he was thinking when he saw Goliath on the map." Morland had tweeted an ominous message foreshadowing the tragic turn of events, which Strickland then retweeted. 

"In case we don't come back, @BackroadCRAIG and I are going right through Winter Storm Goliath to kill ducks in Oklahoma. #IntoTheStorm," Morland wrote in the early morning hours on Dec. 27. 

No comments:

Post a Comment